Search for  in 
Balearic Islands
Basque Country
Canary Islands
Castilla-La Mancha
La Rioja
Clubs & Societies, Charities, Hobbies
Community/Public Services
Education & Employment
Food & Drink
Legal & Finance
Politics & People
Property/House & Garden
Transport (inc Motoring)
A non-resident may drive with a British licence in Spain; indeed, it is not possible to exchange your licence for a Spanish version unless you have a Residencia.

If you are resident, you are then obliged to alter your licence, and there are two options:

If you possess an EU licence (denoted by a ring of stars on the front) this can be stamped at Trafico in Alicante for a current fee of approximately 7 Euros. You will need to produce your existing licence and Residencia, plus 1 copy of each and the relevant Trafico form duly completed. This procedure can usually be carried out on the same day.

2. If you wish to exchange your licence for a Spanish licence (and this is the method the Spanish Authorities prefer) you will need the following:

a) 4 passport photos
b) Current driving licence + 2 copies
c) Residencia + 2 copies
d) Relevant Trafico form duly completed

In order to complete this process, Trafico will keep the documents for a minimum of three days, and the current charge is approx. 16 Euros.

Renewing a Spanish Driving Licence
Your Spanish Driving Licence must be renewed on the following basis:

18 – 40 years old: valid for 10 years
41 years old: valid for 9 years
42 years old: valid for 8 years
43 years old: valid for 7 years
44 years old: valid for 6 years
45 – 67 years old: valid for 5 years
67 – 68 years old: valid for 4 years
68 – 69 years old: valid for 3 years
70 years old and over: valid for 2 years

You will be sent a renewal form in the post and you may apply for the new Licence by post or in person at the Trafico Office. If you send it by post remember to make a note of the renewal date of your Licence in case the form goes astray.

In order to renew your Licence, you must first have a medical which is usually little more than an eye and co-ordination test, at a Centro Medico outlet. The current cost is approx. 24 Euros, and you should take with you the following:

a) 4 passport photos
b) Residencia + 2 copies
c) Existing Driving Licence + 2 copies
d) A stamped addressed envelope
e) A cheque/Giro for 15.63 Euros for Trafico’s fees

(NB There is no Trafico charge for persons over 70 years old).

Change of Address
If you change your address, you should get a Certificate from your Ayuntamiento confirming you are registered on the Padron (local register of all residents) and take this to the Trafico Office with 2 passport photos, your Driving Licence + 2 photocopies and Residencia + 2 photocopies.

Source: HR Consultants

See also

Buying or Selling a Spanish Vehicle
Driving in Spain
Owning/Driving a Vehicle in Spain




Follow thinkSPAIN on
Facebook Twitter
Spanish news archive Costa Blanca news Costa del Sol news Alicante news Castellon Valencia news Barcelona news Catalonia Costa Brava news Madrid news Tenerife news Canary Islands Malaga news Marbella news Andalucia news Sevilla news Costa Almeria news Murcia news Costa Calida Aragon news Asturias news Balearic news Mallorca Menorca news Ibiza Basque news Bilbao Cantabria news Castilla La Mancha news Castilla Leon news Extremadura news Galicia news La Rioja news Navarra news Spanish Travel Tourism news Spanish Property Spain directory services Spanish Jobs in Spain Postcodes Spanish weather Spain History Spanish Culture Flamenco dancers Sevillanas Bullfighting bullfight bull fighting matador bullfighter Spanish Education Spain Schools Facts about Spain Clubs in Spain mortgages Spanish bank Spain banking Spanish banks Spain inheritance Spanish wills Spanish healthcare in Spain Working in Spain work Spanish employment Driving Spain cars Spanish car Spain Tax & Spanish Residency Property in Spain for Sale Spanish property to rent Spain holiday lets Spain news Spanish Properties costa blanca weather costa del sol weather local news/info Spanish estate agents Off Plan property Spain | Costa Blanca property | Costa del Sol property | Costa de la Luz property | Costa Brava property | Costa Almería property | Costa Cálida property | Costa Valencia property | Costa Azahar property | Costa Dorada property | Costa Garraf property | Costa Maresme property | Costa Vasca property | Costa Verde property | Costa Tropical property | Rías Altas property | Rías Baja property
© 2003-2016 Think Web Content, S.L. - All rights reserved