Spanish Language Lessons: Dining Out - Fish and Shellfish
By:thinkSPAIN/Guide , Monday, August 17, 2009
The warm summer evenings make dining out all the more appealing. Here are a few tips and translations to help you when ordering.
It's always worth asking whether fish is fresh (fresco) or frozen (congelado), e.g.: Is the tuna fresh? ¿El atún es fresco?
Are the prawns frozen? ¿Las gambas son congeladas?
There are many different ways that fish and shellfish can be prepared. Here are just a few examples that you might find on the menu:
frito = fried a la plancha = grilled a la sal = oven baked in coarse sea salt (the salt coating is then chipped off when served) al horno = oven baked con salsa de cava/setas = with a champagne/mushroom sauce hervido = boiled al vapor = steamed a la marinera = marinière
Two other very popular fish dishes are the parillada, which is a (usually very large) selection of grilled fish and shellfish and the
zarzuela, which is like the parillada but the fish is served in a thick sauce. These dishes often appear on the menu for two or more people
Before you hit the local restaurants this summer, see how good your grasp of the menu is by translating these sentences (Answers after the
1. I'll have the sole in champagne sauce.
2. Steamed mussels for me.
3. Grilled crayfish, please.
4. Are the prawns fresh?
5. I'd like grilled swordfish.
6. Is the cuttlefish served in its ink or grilled?
7. Salt baked bream for two, please.
8. Salmon in cream and mushroom sauce.
9. Clams à la marinière to start with.
10. Do you have fried whitebait?
battered baby squid
* Cod – unlike British cod, Spanish cod is almost always salted and has a completely different flavour and texture to what you might be used to in the UK, so
beware when ordering it!
1. Yo quiero el lenguado con salsa de cava.
2. Mejillones al vapor para mí.
3. Cigalas a la plancha, por favor.
4. Las gambas son frescas?
5. Quiero el emperador a la plancha.
6. La sepia la sirven en su tinta o a la plancha?
7. Dorada a la sal para dos, por favor.
8. Salmón en salsa de nata y setas.
9. De entrante, almejas a la marinera.
10. ¿Tienen pescaditos fritos?