FORMULA One test-driver María de Villota has undergone another major operations following her accident on Tuesday, with successful results, according to surgeons at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.
The 32-year-old, from Madrid, has been in a critical condition with serious head and facial injuries since her first-ever test-drive with team Marussia ended in a devastating collision.
It was only her second experience on the Formula One circuit.
Today, medics confirmed her condition remained serious, but was stable and she was largely out of danger.
They had to carry out an operation to rebuild María’s face, but needed to wait until her head injuries had stabilised before going ahead.
Surgeons said the operation had been a ‘success’, and nowhere near as lengthy as the first emergency intervention she underwent, which started on Tuesday evening and did not finish until Wednesday.
She is said to be responding well to treatment.
But her right eye has been totally destroyed, and doctors were unable to save it.
María’s family, who are currently in Cambridge, say they feel ‘very positive and optimistic’ and wished to thank the Marussia team for their support and the rest of the Formula One community for their encouraging messages.