ANYONE who still has some of the €1.61 billion in pesetas in coins and notes in their homes needs to change them into euros before the end of this year – or they will be stuck with them, the Bank of Spain recalls....
Investors from abroad who offer jobs in Spain will get automatic residence rights
By thinkSPAIN Team Tue, May 21, 2013
Companies or individuals who bring a 'notable socio-economic impact' or 'important scientific or technological innovation' into Spain will find the paper-trail required to obtain residence will be considerably simplified.
Where these people, or the owners and existing key staff of the firms in question are self-employed and involved in more than one area of activity, they will be given a discount on their monthly social security contributions.
They will need to provide evidence that they intend to make 'significant financial investments' in Spain and 'create jobs' in order to benefit from an easier residence process.
The new law allowing for this is hoped to make Spain a more attractive place for highly-qualified professionals and scientific investigators by cutting down on the red tape required for settling in the country.
Employment minister Fátima Báñez says the legislation will benefit at least a million young people currently out of work, and companies which make a concerted effort to invest in Spain will be given incentives and official recognition.
Iberdrola has been named as one of the companies which is already doing so.
As well as trying to attract top-flight professionals and the best scientists to the country, Báñez says firms which give 'training contracts' – apprenticeships or positions with on-the-job training – will be given discounts on taxes and other duties as an incentive.
But in the meantime, recent research has shown that only 20 per cent of young Spaniards who are currently working abroad in the field of science and investigation intend to return home one day – the remaining 80 per cent have already ruled this out.
And the 20 per cent who wish to come back to Spain say they have no idea when they may be able to do so, given the lack of opportunities in their profession in the country.
More Business/Economy content
COSTS of public services or products linked to the State are normally adjusted on the first day of every year – sometimes reducing, but more often than not, going up. This year will see train tickets, motorway tolls...
ONLINE retail giant Amazon has created 2,200 jobs in Spain this year alone – and these are not expected to be the end of the story. According to the firm, which has logistics centres in Madrid and Barcelona and which...
Average prices for both new build and second-hand homes in the Balearic and Canary islands grew by 11.3% in November compared with the same month last year, according to Tinsa, one of the leading real estate valuation...