A SPANISH tourist has died in Florence after a chunk of stone from the Basilica di Santa Croce fell on him. Daniel Testor Schnell, 52, from Barcelona, was inside the iconic church – a popular tourist attraction in the...
Hospital in-patient dies in fire he caused by smoking in secret
A PATIENT in intensive care in a Cádiz hospital has died in a fire he caused by smoking in bed.
The victim, 43, who was seriously ill and bedridden at the Virgen del Camino hospital in Sanlúcar de Barrameda had been caught smoking before by nurses on at least one occasion.
They say they confiscated his cigarettes and reminded him that it was not permitted to light up in hospitals.
But in the early hours of Sunday morning, the patient lit up again and failed to put his cigarette out properly.
He was on an individual ward, meaning nobody was there to raise the alarm.
Firefighters were called out at 06.37hrs by night staff who noticed the smoke and the entire hospital had to be evacuated.
Flames had begun to spread towards other hospital rooms, but employees and the fire brigade acted so efficiently that nobody else was hurt.
The patient who caused the fire – which started on his pillows and part of the hospital equipment – underwent an emergency operation as soon as he was discovered, but died shortly afterwards without regaining consciousness.
More Crime/Incidents content
GALICIA'S multiple infernos have jumped over the eastern border into the region of Asturias, and of the 35 forest fires burning there yesterday (Monday) morning, 27 continue to be active. Emergency workers in the...
SPANISH president Mariano Rajoy has confirmed that the devastating infernos currently destroying Galicia were started deliberately. They were ignited in at least 200 places and, although some are under control, between...
TWO occupants of a van have been found dead in what remains of their vehicle as they attempted to escape the devastating wildfires sweeping Galicia in Spain's far north-west, whilst homes, schools and factories have...