TENNIS star Rafa Nadal has not stopped at lending his sports centre to flood victims to sleep in – the ATP world number one has been seen bailing out a home in the rain-battered town of Sant Llorenç des Cardassar....
Autopsy confirms second Barajas blast victim also died of asphyxia
It has been confirmed that the second man killed in last weekend's car bomb attack on Barajas airport -19 year old Diego Armando Estacio- also died of asphyxia.
The bodies of both men have now been flown back home to Ecuador from Torrejón military airfield on planes arranged by the Spanish government.
Mr Estacio's body, like that of his compatriot, Carlos Alonso Palate, was found still inside his vehicle, buried under an enormous pile of rubble.
Meanwhile, at the bomb site, work to clear away what remains of Module D of the new Terminal 4 building has gathered pace now that the last body has been located.
The photo shows the wreck of the car in which Mr Estacio was sleeping while awaiting the arrival of a passenger from his home country.
Rescuers find first airport bomb blast victim
Thursday, January 4, 2007
The dead body of 34 year old Carlos Alonso Palate was found inside his car at 6.45pm yesterday evening by a rescue team at Barajas airport.
The car was found underneath a massive quantity of rubble caused by the car bomb attack on the car park of the new Terminal 4 building carried out by ETA early last Saturday morning.
The search continues for the body of a second missing man, 19 year old Diego Armando Estacio, who is also from Ecuador.
Before Carlos's body had been found, his uncle, Luis Antonio, told a journalist from the 20minutos website that he was a "very happy and dynamic person, who always sent money to Ecuador." It transpires that Carlos, who was the main breadwinner for his family back home, worked in a plastics factory in Valencia.
It was decided during a meeting yesterday attended by family representatives and the ministers of Employment and Justice, Jesús Caldera and Juan Fernando López Aguilar respectively, that the descendants of both men would be granted Spanish nationality.
Following a visit to the bomb site yesterday by opposition leader, Mariano Rajoy, president Zapatero will visit the scene later today.
Terror victims demand Zapatero resignation during Barajas bomb protest
Wednesday, January 3, 2007
Hundreds of members of the Association of Terror Victims (AVT) staged a protest outside the headquarters of the PSOE socialist party headquarters last Sunday night in response to the car bomb attack at Barajas airport last Saturday that now almost certainly seems to have claimed the lives of two Ecuadorian men, who are still missing among the rubble.
As the protesters, who were carrying Spanish flags and marching behind a banner with the AVT slogan 'Surrender? Not in my name,' made their way to the calle Ferraz, where a large contingent of police in riot gear formed a cordon around the PSOE central office building, they shouted slogans demanding president Zapatero's resignation.
Earlier, in the Puerta del Sol, AVT president, Francisco José Alcaraz, read out a statement demanding that the government goes further than merely "suspending" the peace process, and demanded that it "demands that the Basque country Communist Party, that is the heir to the Batasuna-ETA legacy, condemns yesterday's brutal attack, and should they not do so, that they be expelled from all of the region's institutions."
Mr Alcaraz went further by calling for the government to arrest and charge all the terrorists with whom there has been contact, including "the murderer, José Ternera." Addressing the terror organisation directly, he told them "Spanish society will not surrender. Memory, dignity and justice are not negotiable. Civil rebellion will remain unstoppable until the terrorists and all their plans have been destroyed."
The meeting ended with several minutes silence followed by three cries of "¡Viva España!"
There were on
You may also be interested in ...
More Crime/Incidents content
A YOUNG woman from Elche lured by a sect in Perú has spoken out about her 18-month ordeal at the hands of its leader, who raped and beat the females he captured. Patricia Aguilar Poveda will be 20 this coming January,...
SPAIN'S Supreme Court has ruled that any and all physical contact of a sexual nature, where deliberate, and irrespective of how brief it is, counts as a criminal offence. This ground-breaking and necessary verdict...
THE actor who played the cigar-chewing Sergeant Apone in the 1986 cult film has been found dead in his villa in the Orihuela Costa area (southern Alicante province). Alexander Basil Matthews – better known as Al...