POLICE in the Canary Islands have debunked claims in a British tabloid that a terrorist attack is imminent in the region and has called for the public to 'ignore hoaxes' – although they recognise this is...
Girl, 6, dead and two children critical in bouncy castle accident
A SIX-YEAR-OLD girl has died and two other children are in a critical condition after a bouncy castle blew away at a restaurant on the Costa Brava.
Although police say there was little wind at the time, the blow-up attraction was swept 40 metres (130 feet) across the grounds of the Ca l'Oller eatery in Caldes de Malavella (Girona province) at around 15.45 yesterday (Sunday).
The children were flung between 10 and 20 metres (33 to 65 feet) and hit the ground hard.
Four suffered minor injuries and three were rushed to hospital.
A nine-year-old boy was air-lifted to Parc Taulí hospital in Sabadell (Barcelona province) and a girl aged seven was taken by ambulance to Girona's Josep Trueta hospital.
Another girl, aged six, was flown to Barcelona's Vall d'Hebrón hospital, but died later last night due to the severity of her injuries.
A seven-year-old girl who was badly injured, but not critical, and three others with minor wounds were also taken to the Josep Trueta.
Witnesses say they heard a loud bang a split second before the bouncy castle uprooted with the seven children aged between three and 11 on it, and police are investigating whether an explosion caused the tragedy or whether the attraction was not anchored down properly.
Owner of the Ca l'Oller – a restaurant popular with families with small children – said the bouncy castle was new and had been set up for the first time in mid-March.
Consumer group OCU says blow-up castles should not be installed or in use when winds of just 38 kilometres per hour were forecast, although at the time of the accident there was barely a breeze in the area.
Regional president Carles Puigdemont tweeted that he had just spoken to the mayor of Caldes de Malavella and sent his 'strong desire' that the injured children recovered quickly.
This was at 17.30, when the only fatal victim so far was still fighting for her life.
Photograph by the Catalunya regional news agency ACN
You may also be interested in ...
More Crime/Incidents content
POLICE are appealing for help in tracing a 35-year-old woman who disappeared in Ibiza 10 days ago, and the missing persons charity have released her photograph. Sara Martín-Crespo Cazorla is described as being slim...
FRIENDS and family members of the three British tourists who died in falls from the same aparthotel in Magaluf have shed light on the tragedies – and say there was no 'balconing' or other reckless practices...
A THIRD tourist in just over a month has died after falling from an aparthotel balcony in Magaluf (Mallorca) – this time a British man aged 19. He was found in the early hours of this morning (Thursday) on the ground...