AN ITALIAN mafia boss who has been on the run for nearly 25 years has been caught in Alicante, according to National Police. Fausto Pellegrinetti had been living in a luxury penthouse apartment in an exclusive area of...
Diana Quer's murderer refuses to testify after admitting he 'tried to rape her'
DIANA Quer's killer has been remanded in custody without bail but has refused to testify, police reveal, whilst his wife, charged with aiding and abetting by covering up the crime, has been released and is staying with relatives.
Early on New Year's Eve, José Enrique Abuín Gey, 41, known as 'El Chicle' and who goes by the name of Enrique, claimed he had tried to rape the sixth-former from Pozuelo de Alarcón (Madrid) after approaching her as she walked back to her holiday home in A Pobra do Caramiñal (A Coruña province, Galicia) after the village fiestas in the early hours of August 22, 2016.
Abuín Gey claims the young woman, who was 18 at the time, tried to fight him off, and he strangled her and dumped her body down a well shaft in a disused warehouse in the parish of Asados in Rianxo, barely 20 kilometres from her family's summer residence.
She was tied up and had weights attached to her to stop her body floating to the surface.
The killer's confession came after he firstly claimed he had accidentally run her over and, panicking as he knew he had an appeal against a sentence from a massive drug-dealing swoop 10 years ago, disposed of her body.
A post-mortem being carried out will determine whether Diana was still alive when she was thrown down the well, and whether or not she had in fact been raped.
It was thought the results would come to light before the dawn of 2018, but Diana's father, Juan Carlos Quer, has now revealed it may take 'some time'.
Speaking for the first time since the news of his missing elder daughter's death broke on New Year's Eve morning, Juan Carlos, a property tycoon from Pozuelo, said that although his family had been 'unlucky', what happened to Diana could have happened to 'anybody's daughter'.
His ex-wife Diana López-Pinel, Diana's mother, and the deceased's sister Valeria, now 17, were much more vocal about the killer, with the former saying she hoped his life would be hell and he would never see daylight again, and Valeria, calling him some choice names, said he would 'pay for it'.
Valeria's emotional tribute to her beloved sister, who would now be 19, on Instagram on December 30 caused the nation to well up, and also came as a shock to the public since it had not yet been revealed Diana was probably dead and most of Spain had not given up hope that she would be found alive.
El Chicle's wife, Rosario Rodríguez, had been arrested at the same time as her husband and initiallly provided an alibi for him for the night of Diana's disappearance, claiming the couple had gone to a service station to 'steal petrol'.
Under interrogation, however, she changed her story and said her husband had been out and she had not known where he was until the early hours.
She also intimated that he had a drink problem which made him violent, and that he may have some obsessive sexual disorder, given that several items of her underwear had gone missing.
Rosario's changed statement was what led Enrique Abuín to confess to killing Diana and to his leading the police to her body.
More Crime/Incidents content
DIANA Quer's father has contacted the mother of his daughter's killer and assured her he does not blame her, and that his heart goes out to her family. Property tycoon Juan Carlos, from Pozuelo de Alarcón...
THE so-called 'Paedophile of Ciudad Lineal' sentenced to 70 years and six months in jail has lost his appeal after his custodial term was upheld by the Supreme Court, the highest contentious audience in Spain,...
FAMILIES whose children were murdered in high-profile cases were invited to Diana Quer's funeral yesterday (Wednesday) in a symbolic union to support each other and call for stiffer sentences and safety measures to...