A GROWING number of Spaniards are opting to cut meat out of their diets – as many as one in 10, and particularly women and young people, according to recent research. Consultancy firm Lantern's report, shows that...
Three Spanish bars in World's Top 50
By thinkSPAIN Team Fri, Oct 4, 2019
Three Spanish bars have made the grade in the 11th edition of The World's 50 Best Bars, an annual ranking of the world's best cocktail bars announced at the Roundhouse in London.
Dante in New York took the gold medal this year for its wide range of cocktails combined with Italian cuisine. Dante opened its doors in 2005, starting life as an Italian cafeteria, before turning into a cocktail bar specialising in snacks. It is managed by Linden Pride, Nathalie Hudson and Naren Young and has gradually climbed up the ranking to reach this year's gold medal position.
The Connaught Bar (London) and Floreria Atlántico (Buenos Aires) took the silver and bronze medals respectively.
The three Spanish bars to make the top 50 are: Salmon Guru, managed by Diego Cabrera in the centre of Madrid, which climbed 28 positions up to number 19 this year; the Paradiso cocktail bar in Barcelona (pictured), which moved up from number 37 to number 20; and Dr.Stravinksy, also in Barcelona, which appears for the first time in the ranking at number 25.
Two more Spanish cocktail bars made the top 100 - Javier de las Muelas' Dry Martini coming in at number 74, and Two Schmucks at number 57. Both are in Barcelona.
The 50 Best Bars in the World (full list)
1. DANTE New York, United States
2. CONNAUGHT BAR London, United Kingdom
3. FLORERIA ATLANTICO Buenos Aires, Argentina
4. THE NOMAD New York, United States
5. AMERICAN BAR London, United Kingdom
6. THE CLUMSIES Athens, Greece
7. ATTABOY New York, United States
8. ATLAS Singapore
9. THE OLD MAN Hong Kong, China
10. LICORERIA LIMANTOUR Mexico City, Mexico
11. MANHATTAN Singapore
12. NATIVE Singapore
13. CARNAVAL Lima , Peru
14. KATANA KITTEN New York, United States
15. GUILHOTINA São Paulo, Brazil
16. THREE SHEETS London, United Kingdom
17. HIMKOK Oslo, Norway
18. HIGH FIVE Tokyo, Japan
19. SALMON GURU Madrid, Spain
20. PARADISO Barcelona, Spain
21. INDULGE EXPERIMENTAL BISTRO Taipei, Taiwan
22. THE DEAD RABBIT New York, United States
23. COUPETTE London, United Kingdom
24. THE SG CLUB Tokyo, Japan
25. DR. STRAVINSKY Barcelona, Spain
26. EMPLOYEES ONLY New York, United States
27. EL COPITAS St. Petersburg, Russia
28. SCOUT London, United Kingdom
29. JIGGER & PONY Singapore
30. OPERATION DAGGER Singapore
31. BABA AU RUM Athens, Greece
32. LA FACTORIA Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
33. PRESIDENTE Buenos Aires, Argentina
34. SCHUMANN'S Munich, Germany
35. SPEAK LOW Shanghai, China
36. LITTLE RED DOOR Paris, France
37. TJOGET Stockholm, Sweden
38. THE OLD MAN Singapore
39. LYANESS London , United Kingdom
40. HAPPINESS FORGETS London, United Kingdom
41. SWIFT London, United Kingdom
42. TRICK DOG San Francisco, United States
43. MAYBE SAMMY Sydney, Australia
44. 1930 Milan, Italy
45. SOBER COMPANY Shanghai, China
46. ELECTRIC BING SUTT Beirut, Lebanon
47. KWANT London, United Kingdom
48. ARTESIAN London, United Kingdom
49. COA Hong Kong, China
50. JERRY THOMAS SPEAKEASY Rome, Italy
More Food & Drink content
TWO-THIRDS of the podium at yesterday's (Tuesday's) Best Chef Awards was made up of Spaniards, and the three owners of a Barcelona-based restaurant came joint fifth, sealing Spain's place as one of the top...
BREXIT should not stop British people enjoying Spanish food and drink, given that exports from the Mediterranean country to the UK have 'increased significantly' in the last two or three years and demand is not...
EATING less meat and wasting less food will help curb climate change, according to the United Nations – recommendations Spain’s energy minister says she totally agrees with. Teresa Ribera (pictured) says focus...