BARÇA'S Lionel 'Leo' Messi made a dream come true for a group of children on a Caribbean beach during his family holiday ahead of the start of the Liga season by playing a match with his young fans. Messi,...
Iker Casillas back in play two months after heart attack
By thinkSPAIN Team Tue, Jul 2, 2019
FORMER Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas has defied all the odds and is back at work, starting the preseason with his current team Oporto – just two months after having stents fitted following a sudden heart attack.
The 38-year-old collapsed on the pitch on April 30 during training and was rushed to hospital for emergency surgery, which went smoothly, allowing him to be discharged a week later.
He said at the time that his 'future was uncertain', and speculation in the media – especially in Portugal – has been rife that he would have to retire from the sport as a consequence of his condition.
Iker has mostly been in Madrid since then, as his wife, TV reporter Sara Carbonero, discovered days later that she had early-stage ovarian cancer and needs to be in the capital for treatment following surgery.
The convalescing couple was unable to attend Iker's ex-Real Madrid colleague Sergio Ramos' wedding in Sevilla on June 15 because of their respective health problems.
But Iker had stressed that he had no idea as yet about the immediate future of his career, and that fans would hear any news about it from him first.
“Retire...there will come a day when I have to retire. Let me announce said news when the time comes. For the moment, all quiet,” he tweeted.
Now, though, the Spanish national team goalie has tweeted: “Back to work. First day,” and tagged @FCPorto in the message.
Photograph: Iker Casillas on Twitter (@IkerCasillas)
More Sport content
TENNIS legends Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer will face each other in an epic match in front of up to 50,000 spectators in an attempt to break the world record for audience size. The match between the current world...
BRITISH cycling legend Chris Froome has just found out he won the Vuelta a España eight years ago, after the Spanish victor was disqualified for doping. Cantabria rider Juanjo Cobo was declared positive, according to...
FATHER of five-times Formula 1 world Champion Lewis Hamilton says he wants to see Spain's Fernando Alonso back on the Grand Prix circuit since the sport 'needs someone like him'. Anthony Hamilton,...